The betting that will be discussed here is presented exclusively as a way of investing money for the purpose of winning and has nothing to do with pastime or fun. It usually takes place online. All the following tips apply primarily to this type of betting. Certainly, no reasonable person can rule out a factor of luck, as well as a feeling (gut) that is more developed in some players than in others and in combination with personal courage (self-confidence) can result in a decent gain.
It is common to divide players into several categories. Most of them, of course, are people who compose pairings as long as there is space on the betting slip, expecting that their selection will be the right one that day. It is characteristic of them that they usually compose the slip in the local betting shop, often looking over someone’s shoulder to copy pairs, and their main principle is to include odds between 1.05 to 1.50 (if so) and a minimum of 10 pairs on the slip. Of course, from time to time, by the law of probability, such a slip will also be a winner, but it can only be betting for fun, not serious betting.
Types of Bettors
• A bettor who bets for profit will spend a lot of time and energy researching the system, selection. This is an endless process where knowledge, practice, and experience are the key bearers of a successful betting strategy.
• A bettor who bets for fun bets with his heart and personal feelings. He makes occasional gains, but in the long run, this type of a bettor is in deficit.
• A bettor who bets for fun can easily become a bettor who bets for profit if betting, selection, and implementation strategies are accepted.
• The ideal bettor is one that has both characteristics.
Success theory says – set your goals! Goals must be written. On the other hand, nothing builds your self-esteem more strongly than your goals. This builds self-confidence and makes you ready for the next challenge.
In other words, motivation refers to the forces that strengthen and direct our behavior, which help individuals and groups achieve their goals. We need a certain amount of self-awareness to understand what drives us to achieve (or not) goals in different situations and times. Achieving a certain goal, in your case PROFIT, that grows in a given period of time, is definitely not an easy task. By this, we mean exclusively self-discipline. You must also be able to control and regulate your personal emotions in order to do your best, especially while acting under pressure.
The process that leads to success:
1. Planning – a good plan shortens unnecessary trouble and gives self-confidence because when you put on paper what you want (item No.1) and what you have to do (item No.2), and make a good plan, then everything becomes clearer, difficult turns into easy and impossible in available.
2. Action – without that, there is nothing left; success is only possible if you do what is necessary to achieve success. You need to work for success!
3. Faith – it moves mountains. When you take everything necessary from the first two items, the only thing left for you is to believe that everything will be arranged as it should be so that you get what you want and what you work for.
The purpose of betting is MONEY GAIN. There are two basic questions to ask yourselves:
• How much money do I have available?
• How much money am I willing to lose?
Don’t borrow money for betting, don’t bet with the money you need for work, family support, utility bills, or for things that are more important than sports betting.
Know That You Can Lose All Your Money
Set a goal, collect a profit when you reach the goal, and then start all over again. For example: If you start with €100 and set a goal to win €500 – when you earn €500, take € 400, and continue betting with the starting bet of €100. In this way of betting, you will see the RESULT, real money, not virtual money on the betting slips.
There are people who bet for fun and people who make a living that way, and members of both groups of people for whom betting has become a purpose in itself, i.e. addicts who for no rational reason can overcome their passion. Betting as fun is OK, but you should know that every fun costs and you must be aware that your failure in this type of betting is quite expected.
Betting Is the Skill of Choosing Events from the Offer
Discipline is your main weapon in the ‘fight’ against a much stronger ‘opponent’, and quality information is your only ally. You know for sure people who know a lot about sports, but they are not particularly successful bettors because they do not follow this rule. The reason for that is their self-proving and the challenge of predicting the most attractive events, which are, as a rule, the most difficult to bet on. For them, derbies and strong, decisive matches are testosterone that challenges and nourishes their ego. They forget that the world has long since become a global village filled with all kinds of information for which profit is the only purpose.
Global marketing imposes ‘brands’ on a daily basis – the so-called brands that creep into our subconscious, and those propaganda messages influence our decisions. Everything from the world of top sports belongs to the very lucrative brands. Famous clubs and those who became that overnight, regardless of their current strength, strong and exotic leagues, world championships, Champions League, cups, etc… effectively attract players, although bets on those matches are a real higher risk than other markets. Bettors regularly fail on routine matches that ‘everyone knows’ how will end. Statistics show that they usually lose in such (safe-bet) matches. Besides, betting is not for the fans – always be realistic and objective. Don’t favor teams you find ‘cute’, don’t underestimate the other ones. Remember that most successful bettors never bet on the games of the club they love and support. Put love, repulsion, hate, and passion aside – a successful player uses only his knowledge, skill, experience, and a cool head.
Stakes as an Investment: Take Care of Your Money
The stakes are a kind of placement (and you can treat them as a financial investment) in which only the potential value is known until the end of the match (event). This value depends on the odd of the selected event. It is the same thing as putting a chip in a casino or paying for a poker bet. Until the roulette wheel has not stopped spinning or the opponent shows the cards, that money does not belong to anyone. Get used to looking at betting that way.
• Always invest only as much as you are willing to lose. Be honest with yourself and take care of your own financial situation. Proper distribution of funds is the most important part of betting.
• What you earn is yours and don’t treat that money in a way “as it came, so it is gone”. This is another common mistake made by most players. Keep statistics of stakes, winnings, and losses because that is the only way to control your money.
• Don’t change your strategy after a loss. “Just to get back to the game” strategy ruined many players.
• Never bet with borrowed money.
• Constant betting on favorites gives you little. They statistically win less than the offer shows.
• Don’t bet the money you need for things more important than betting.
• Always keep in mind that you can lose all your money.
Self-Control: There’s No Small Gain
Respect your money, so if you invest €5 a day and earn an average of €5 – counting on betting 25 days a month – the profit is €125, or €1,500 a year. That, you will admit, is certainly not a small amount of money.
There is a fine line between betting and gambling. It seems like people, for some inexplicable reason, want to lose the money they got. The gambler does not stop and say, “OK, I’m happy now”. No, he moves the line further, until he starts losing. Then he tries to regain what he lost. Instead of making a profit, he pushes the limit, and suddenly he finds himself without, e.g. €400. He still has €300 in winnings, but he thinks that €400 has been lost – even though the real profit is €300 – and that is why he continues to bet, which usually ends with a big minus.
This is a typical destructive principle that you can deal with self-control. When he wins several times in a row, an inexperienced player starts to raise stakes immediately and without thinking. This way you can easily earn, but it is far common to lose what you have gained. Of course, you should take advantage of this magical attraction of the winning series, but keep in mind the following:
• Self-control and caution are not signs of a coward – respect your money.
• In a losing streak, don’t be tempted to start with irrational moves (dramatic raise of stakes, changing of strategy, betting on multiple games, etc.)
• If your strategy has worked before, it will work again. The keys are discipline and patience.
• Sometimes you get into a bad streak, and that is when you are going to show how disciplined you are.
• The best advice is to stay away from betting for a week or two, do something that gives you pleasure, and come back later.
Control Your Habit
Don’t bet just for the sake of betting. Wait for the right offer, acceptable pairs, don’t bet on sports and leagues you don’t know or don’t know enough about. Don’t push it! Some of the characteristics of unsuccessful bettors are a bunch of slips, a bunch of pairs, and betting every day (usually several times a day).
You will not impress anyone with the number of slips in your pocket or by boring people around you with ‘bad luck’ and ‘rigged’ matches. If you think you cannot guess anything – take a break. Bet as long as it gives you pleasure. When you run out of motivation, there is a great chance that you will lose patience and interest, and eventually your money. If you feel that the whole thing has become exhausting and you are no longer having fun, then it is time to take a break from betting.
There Are No Favorites, but There Are a Justified Risk and a Bad Bet
The risk is neither the loss of money, nor the fear of loss. Risk management is the prediction of the possibility of loss and the profitability of such an investment. Risk is a constant in every business, including betting. It can happen that you fail four or five times in a row, even though you were on the right track and chose a favorable bet. Don’t forget what cannot be measured or simulated by any analysis – it is called LUCK. Betting on a match of the clear favorite – which for most players means that the odds are low – is completely unnecessary for a simple reason, and that is that the possibility of losing is far greater than increasing earnings by that odds. In addition, the odds often don’t represent the right balance of power.
Believe in yourself! Listen to everyone, but in the end, decide for yourself. It is easiest, figuratively speaking, to bet on other people’s money. You often meet ‘top’ bettors, ‘masters’ of forecasts who receive reliable insider information, the so-called ‘alerts’ and know 70% of the outcome in advance, but they have only one thing in common – constantly empty pockets.
Approach to Betting
Without defined target earnings and extracting profits from the target fund, the whole game comes down to gambling.
• Approach to betting as a series of investments with a variable degree of risk, which is – as we have stated – an assessment of the possibility of loss. In order to be able to take betting more seriously, you must have set aside a certain amount of money (start-up fund or so-called bank), the sole purpose of which is betting.
• Determine the betting goal, i.e. the amount of money (profit) after which one investment cycle is closed (e.g. initial fund of €300, planned profit of €300, target fund of €600 – end of the cycle).
IMPORTANT: when defining your bank, you must be aware of the decision that it is no longer your money. It is your primary means of work. If you lose it, you lose your ‘job’ – no more betting (at least until you raise a new bank)!
Betting requires keeping records of every type and every cent invested.
• Records will help you find out after a while which type of betting suits you best, which sports, which leagues, i.e. what brings you money.
• Analyze all bets (winning and losing) and note any reason that could have been the cause of the incorrect prediction.
• Learn from your own mistakes. It is equally important to learn from other people’s mistakes and/or successes and ways of betting strategies.
• Keep in mind that, according to the statistics of major European soccer leagues, approximately every third game ends with an unpredictable result!
• With constant insight into the cost-effectiveness of betting, the bettor will improve his knowledge of betting and determining the betting system. The principle is valid: the more precise and comprehensive the notes, the better the information for future decisions.
What Way of Betting to Choose?
This is the question of all questions to which there is no right answer. Countless texts with different approaches to this issue have been written. The authors of these texts can be divided into supporters of singles, i.e. betting on only one game, betting on a certain odd (two, three games), system betting, and betting several games on a single slip. They all have reasonable arguments for their views.
Proponents of singles point out that single bets are most likely to win. That is of course true and this is also the strongest argument for betting on just one match. How dangerous singles are for bookmakers is shown by the fact that they introduced betting on singles events relatively late. First, they allowed you to play over a certain odd, then only for matches of certain leagues, and finally for all matches from the list. It is not such a problem for Internet bookies with over 300,000 clients or William Hill with an annual turnover of over $ 3.4 billion. It does not represent a problem for large bookmakers for that reason either, and the profit is far higher.
For bettors who practice this way of betting, there are those who play ordinary slips and those who play systems. In system betting, in general, the probability of winning is higher, compared to classic betting, but the gain is proportionally lower. If you play the same events in a system and together, the odds on a regular slip will be higher than the odds with the system. With lower odds (earnings) you pay a higher probability of winning.
The combination of systems and singles is the best way to bet in the long run. The law of probability is always against the bettor, so you need to find a way to harness it to your cause as much as possible. With systems and singles, this can be achieved, either by picking or combining, but one thing is to remember – you have to think long term. Without long-term thinking and planning, there will be no gain. With the amount of money paid, you reduce the risk of putting more pairs on the ticket.
What is the problem with betting on singles matches? With online bookmakers that have small reserves of money or land-based betting shops with a small number of payment points, and therefore a small number of bets, the single is very risky. Such bookmakers either don’t allow singles or limit them very much. In addition, there are frequent cases of blocking and removing matches from the lists. The misconception is that a single bet needs a lot of money. That is not true, you can bet even small amounts. Whether the eventual gain is enough for you or not is another question.
Betting is a painstaking and arduous job like any other, and as in any business, patience is very important. Only patient and disciplined players end the year ‘in the black’. For players who play multiple games at the same time, winning slips are rare. There exist, of course, but to a much lesser extent than for players who play singles. On aggregate (accumulated) tickets, the probability of winning is lower than in singles, often several tens of times lower. Remember only one thing – bookmakers live from your greed.