Best English Betting Sites in 2023
Want to Find the Best English Betting Sites The Easy Way?
When trying to determine the best English betting sites from the many available, it can be very difficult to get consistently good results. That’s because, without expert help, the only thing you really have to go on is advertising. One with we know about advertising is that it’s not always accurate, so how can you see through it to see what’s really on offer?
The answer to that question lies right here. Our list provides all the insight you could possibly need to find the finest English bookmakers online EVERY time you go looking. It contains insight gained from rigorous reviews conducted by our dedicated team. Every element that has a bearing on the value for money, service and gambling fun offered gets assessed.
All the English betting websites we come across are scrutinised in this way, with all the info we find being laid out in an easy-to-read format. Simply by adding our page to your web browser’s favourites, you get instant, constantly updated guidance on where to spend your gambling cash. With our help, you can kiss goodbye to poor experiences with English bookies.
About Online Betting in England
There aren’t many countries in the world that have the same sporting heritage as England. Football, tennis, golf, snooker and rugby are just some of the sports that originate from the UK, so it stands to reason then, that there are many English bookies in existence, with everything being regulated by the United Kingdom Gambling Commission (UKGC).
All English betting companies exist in what is a regulated market – something that has existed since 1960. The laws were updated in 2005, granting licenses where applicable to operators who meet the very strict criteria that exist. That said, the stance in the UK toward online gambling is a very relaxed one for players, which is why a safe experience is focused upon.
While there are also many other types of betting available on gambling sites across the UK that feature casino betting, lottery and more, sportsbook sites are easily the most widely used by English players. What we’re talking about here is one of the hubs of global gambling, so the opportunities to bet and win real money are abundant and easy to access.
Sports to Wager On in the English Market
As one of the biggest gambling areas in the world, the English market offers everything that you’d expect from such a region. Soccer (or football as it’s known colloquially) is perhaps the biggest market, however, with cricket, tennis and golf representing hugely popular sports with English gamblers, you’ll find vast sums of money being bet on each, whenever events are on.
Horse racing is also big business in England, with the Aintree Grand National and the Cheltenham Gold Cup representing just two of the many prestigious events held every year. Of course, there are also countless less prominent sports available to bet on, with athletics, swimming, squash, F1 motor racing, boxing and cycling being just a few.
International & Emerging Markets
As an English bettor, you obviously also have many international sports to wager on, with American sports proving very popular in England. NFL football, NHL hockey, NBA basketball and Major League baseball all offer lots of gambling opportunities. Not forgetting, of course, the many collegiate sporting events that are held there regularly.
Then there are huge alternative sports markets like the increasingly popular sphere of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). This brutal sport is one that offers much in terms of excitement, with events featuring UFC stars like the undefeated Khabib Nurmagomedov and Anderson Silva. As they ply their trade, there are thousands in attendance and millions watching online.
Also, thanks to the modern paradigm of high-speed internet, eSports is a market that has enjoyed a meteoric rise since its inception. For those new to the concept, eSports involves the very best players of console games pitting their wits against each other in live contests that are watched by millions all around the world.
eSports events occur pretty much every day and feature games like:
- League of Legends
- Call of Duty
Before you think that this is a minority sporting arena, you have to realise that the best players in the sphere can earn 7-figure sums. In 2021, there were almost 900 different eSports events, each boasting massive viewing figures in the millions. It’s an industry that’s worth over $1bn and it’s a figure that’s rising all the time.
A Variety of Bets Can Be Made In Sports Betting
If you visit any good English betting site, you’ll get to enjoy as much sports betting as you can handle. In addition to the many sports that we’ve mentioned, the variety on offer is increased when you realise just how many ways it’s possible to wager.
- Win bets – By far the simplest type of bet on offer is the Win bet. In any given individual or team sport, you’ll basically be guessing who wins out. In an A v B scenario, you bet on A or B based on what you know. The less likely your pick is to win, the higher the odds will be.
- Accumulators – as the name of the bet suggests, you accumulate winnings as each of your picks comes in successfully. It is a bet that can offer great odds, but that’s based on the likelihood of you winning. In a 5-race accumulator, for example, you have to pick the winner in all five races to win.
- Over/under bets – Another popular type of sports bet that you can make is the over/under wager. Here you’ll be trying to guess whether the total number of goals/tries/points during an event is under or over a certain amount.
- Special bets – Also known as a ‘prop’ bet, a special bet will focus on the peripheral events during a sporting contest. For instance, during a football match, you might bet on how many red cards/corners/free kicks there will be.
- In-play bets – For gamblers who want that extra bit of excitement, there are in-play bets that allow you to place new wagers based on what’s happening in real time. The ‘cash out’ option is a feature of this type of bet, as the bookie will pay out a reduced amount early to entice you to walk away with a definite win.
Promotions & Bonuses You’ll Encounter
English sites for sportsbook gambling are likely any other business in that they’re created to make money. As such, they need to attract customers, which they do with what’s known as a welcome bonus. Here we look at what this entails, as well as the other incentive schemes that you’re likely to encounter.
Sports betting bonuses will usually include:
- Welcome bonuses – Also known as a deposit bonus, they come in a variety of forms, offering many things like free funds, win-win bets, cashback, enhanced odds and more.
- Reload bonuses – In order to retain your business, betting sites will often give you a bonus for adding more funds as a thank you for remaining loyal to the provider.
- VIP program bonuses – Some betting sites also run VIP programs for their best customers, with points being awarded while playing. These can then be converted into merchandise, free bets or simply turned into real cash.
The Work We Do to Find the Best Experiences
Our review team is tireless in its efforts to find the very best sports betting experiences for our readers. In order to achieve the insight we need to make accurate recommendations, our reviews are exhaustive, evaluating many metrics that include:
- Customer support availability
- Website security provided
- The speed at which winnings are paid out
- Number of payment methods accepted
- Variety of sportsbook markets offered
- Fairness of welcome offers
- Languages supported
The entire list is far too long to detail here, but suffice to say, we do the hard work necessary for us to guide you to where the smart money is spent.
Frequently Asked Questions
The vast majority of licensed sites are, however, select from our recommended picks and safety is not an issue you’ll need to worry about.
No. All winnings for English players are 100% tax-free.
Yes, you will have to prove your age when joining an online betting site in England. For this, you’ll need a passport, driving licence or other accepted photo ID.
It would be nice if you could, but sadly not. When you receive a welcome bonus in the form of free funds to wager, you won’t be able to simply withdraw them. There will typically be wagering requirements that mean you have bet it many times over first.
Sure. Just visit the cashier, select the amount and add. It’s usually instantaneous.